2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

For what little it's worth at this time, Raikonnen told Finnish reporters the car feels much better to drive than last year and at no time during the test did Ferrari run low fuel for lap times, so that's definitely encouraging that they may be able to position themselves as best of the rest behind Merc.

aleks_ader

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

I do furder calculation laps per number of customer team to get "the realibilty" factor. For easy comparament i simply negate the Lotus contribution in Merc calc, beacuse i think they are to huge anomaly (new engine, new everything for them).

Merc: 417.5 lap per team
Ferr: 364 lpt
Ren: 258.5 lpt

Calculation method: lpt==total num of laps throw test of engine/NUM of suppliers from engine suplier contributed on test
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

f1316
f1316

Would be even more interesting if we could see all the fastest sector times (and who did them).

There have been a couple of implications that kimi was coasting over the line and sounds from one of the above posts as if he could have gone faster if he'd strung all his best sectors together.

Would be good to know how much quicker (and if Mercedes were doing the same)

iotar__

f1316 wrote:Would be even more interesting if we could see all the fastest sector times (and who did them).

There have been a couple of implications that kimi was coasting over the line and sounds from one of the above posts as if he could have gone faster if he'd strung all his best sectors together.

Maybe he was coasting over the line (was he really?) because Ferrari measures lap differently and it ended 300 m earlier? Word of warning though it does not work on long runs, or any runs with consecutive laps.

Was it posted? LH: "“I’ve not been paying much attention to be honest and just doing my own thing,” he said. “I'm sure they are on different fuel loads to the others and doing short runs. My engineer told me that they were on qualy-style attacking runs which we were not.”"

f1316
f1316

iotar__ wrote:
f1316 wrote:Would be even more interesting if we could see all the fastest sector times (and who did them).

Maybe he was coasting over the line (was he really?) because Ferrari measures lap differently and it ended 300 m earlier? Word of warning though it does not work on long runs, or any runs with consecutive laps.

Was it posted? LH: "“I’ve not been paying much attention to be honest and just doing my own thing,” he said. “I'm sure they are on different fuel loads to the others and doing short runs. My engineer told me that they were on qualy-style attacking runs which we were not.”"
I'm not saying he was lifting, just that seeing the sector times would show if he was.

I've not seen that quote from Hamilton; however, somewhere else on this forum someone posted kimi saying they definitely weren't doing low fuel runs.

Anyway, I don't expect Ferrari to suddenly be faster than Mercedes come Melbourne, but I do think all signs point to them having made a positive start. Frankly, if they've closed to under 0.5 secs and can sustain it for the whole race, that's still major progress.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

From SkySport
Ferrari led the way for the vast majority of the test, heading the timesheets on three of the four days. But while Rosberg admitted the Scuderia’s pace had been an “eye-opener”, Hamilton is unconcerned by their table-topping performances in Spain.

“I’ve not been paying much attention to be honest and just doing my own thing,” he said. “I’m sure they are on different fuel loads to the others and doing short runs. My engineer told me that they were on qualy-style attacking runs which we were not.”

giantfan10
giantfan10

Spoutnik wrote:From SkySport
Ferrari led the way for the vast majority of the test, heading the timesheets on three of the four days. But while Rosberg admitted the Scuderia’s pace had been an “eye-opener”, Hamilton is unconcerned by their table-topping performances in Spain.

“I’ve not been paying much attention to be honest and just doing my own thing,” he said. “I’m sure they are on different fuel loads to the others and doing short runs. My engineer told me that they were on qualy-style attacking runs which we were not.”
If the engineer telling the truth, Mercedes, on the same conditions, get a massive pace advantage in race, higher than last year.
i highly doubt that ferrari were doing qualy style attack runs in jerez... i suspect that hamilton is telling a big fat one
they were running different programs and who knows what the fuel levels were for ferrari... quali style attack runs is a big reach and probably has more to do with what mercedes want to believe than the truth.
all that statement tells me is that mercedes is taking notice of ferrari.
do i believe that ferrari is the fastest car in F1 right now? no do i beleive they were doing quali style attacking runs like Hamilton wants you to beleive? no
on a second note if that was the ferrari at maximum output in a quali style run then the ferrari is one stable well balanced car :lol:
Last edited by giantfan10 on 05 Feb 2015, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

Pierce89

Spoutnik wrote:From SkySport

If the engineer telling the truth, Mercedes, on the same conditions, get a massive pace advantage in race, higher than last year.
Ferrari has said they didn't do any low fuel runs.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Aesto
Aesto

Anyone posting in this thread should have to pass a Captcha asking you to write ''I shall not attempt to make inferences about car performance based on testing times'' 25 times.

Every single year people who have, you know, watched F1 for more than one season, caution against it, every single year other people ignore them and plow right ahead #-o

fawe4
fawe4

Aesto wrote:Anyone posting in this thread should have to pass a Captcha asking you to write ''I shall not attempt to make inferences about car performance based on testing times'' 25 times.

Every single year people who have, you know, watched F1 for more than one season, caution against it, every single year other people ignore them and plow right ahead #-o
We may as well close this topic then. I mean, its testing, what more can you talk about except lap times, problems and speculations. I'm quite sure people posting here are well aware what testing is. That doesn't mean they can't compare times and observations. Testing actually can predict bad or good seasons for teams. It predicted Mercs last season, it predicted a bad one for Mclaren few years ago. As I remember, even very early engine power rumors turned correct for the last season, but it also failed predicting RB's and Ferrari's performance last year. But that certainly does not make speculations meaningless.

All the media covering F1 does nothing more and nothing less than what we are doing here. Personally, I'm nearly certain that Ferrari made a huge leap compared to last season. Likewise, Mclaren at this moment is a dog. Then again, I'm also aware that Melbourne is still far, and Ferrari may be at it's peak now, Mclaren may sort it's issues, and RB may pull a rabbit out of it's hat. We shall see, until then, I believe, we are allowed some fun.

Hail22

Ted's Notebook 1st test day Four (Final edition for 1st test):

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

So in summary, nobody has any idea what fuel loads anybody was on and thus nobody can read anything into posted times.

Just like every other F1 test.

WaikeCU

Has Mercedes ran the soft tire?

kooleracer
kooleracer

Seeing to cars go through the first corner at Barcelona will tell us much more then these 4 days at Jerez will tell us. The amount of speed a car can carry through the first 2 corners at Barcelona will tell you about downforce levels and balance of the car. The only conclusion we can take from the first test is, that is it was inconclusive.

The first test is a baseline test (system checks and engine maps) no team at Jerez was chasing times, so there is nothing to read from them. At Barcelona we will see teams doing performance runs because they can use the setup for the race.

In 2013 the Lotus, Mercedes (quick in qualifying) and Red Bull looked great through the first corners at Barcelona and those three cars were the quickest in the first half of the season. Last year F1 was not present at Barcelona this year there are back. So i'm sure experts like Martin Brundle will watch the cars go through the first corners and the infield section. It won't take long to figure out which cars look good on track.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

ParkerArt
ParkerArt