2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

Phil wrote:I'm not sure what you guys are debating about really. In some form or another, I would expect Mercedes to be testing the limits of their engine within the car. That they may not have done this during the races, because they never needed to, is logical, although I wonder how much using the "overtaking button" enhances the mapping relative to how much power is available to them, irrespective what strat mode they were using at the time.

What is clear is that full engine power does not equal best lap time. They could be testing all kinds of engine modes in a way that is it less obvious to other teams during the test.
+1

If they don't test the engine to its limits it will handicap their development work and increase the chances of the other manufacturers catching up.

dren

They were focusing their testing on reliability.
Honda!

NathanOlder

Juzh wrote:
NathanOlder wrote: Merc never used strat 1 :lol: As if you had it confirmed 100%. Speculation all round.
I've got onboards from all races in 2014 and can say with confidence they in fact didn't. Even speed trap data from some races suggests they didn't. Brazil for example, even with slipstream some cars were unable to surpass their quali speed trap. Ok, I admit, I don't have it 100% (obviously), same as Jonny.

Using speed trap data means nothing, in qualy they use new tyres and light car, and in a regular race no cars get this luxury. And i doubt you have studied around 2100 laps to check they never used strat 1. Im not saying they ever did use strat 1, but you talk to people and tell them they couldn't possibly know that their answers are fact, when its not any different to when you state "facts"
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

dren wrote:They were focusing their testing on reliability.
Reliability, yes, but key information is how reliable can it run at how much of the power over which duration. That Honda wasn't testing full power modes makes sense, because they were running short on laps and testing is not only about testing their PU package, but also other parts of the car - which is precisely why getting the laps done is important during these tests.

Mercedes and the other teams are in a different position however; they have a full year of racing experience, so they already have a known quantity (last years car) - which means the test is more predictable to them. They can safely run closer to the engines limit while focusing on reliability and gathering lots of data. No one is suggesting they are running above what the engine is capable of - but it would be foolish to think they have done all these miles with a very solid running car without at least scratching the surface of what they'd expect the engine to cope with during actual races. This however doesn't mean that they were chasing lap times, or that they would be doing this while doing actual race-simulations - but perhaps only in some sectors, or at significantly higher fuel loads to throw off competiton because being at the top of the testing time sheet is not something they [Mercedes] need, or want right now - especially with talks over the future of the sport in regards to engine development etc.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

irang
irang

http://f1-insider.com/formel-1-wehrlein ... ia-debuet/

It says Pascal Wehrlein will drive for Force India for all 4 days of the first Barcelona test. Allegedly FI couldn't pay the bill and by giving the drive to the Mercedes reserve driver they get the power unit for the test.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

hmm. Well that's better than missing the Barcelona 1 entirely.

SilverArrow10

And pretty fantastic for that young man. A four day F1 test is something a young driver can only dream of these days.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

NathanOlder

Are many people attending this test? I am taking my Wife to Spain to see this one. First time I will be going to a test. Can't wait
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

George-Jung
George-Jung

NathanOlder wrote:Are many people attending this test? I am taking my Wife to Spain to see this one. First time I will be going to a test. Can't wait
It will also be a good test for your relationship with your wife.. :wink:
If she doesn't start to complain... than she is a 'keeper'.. :mrgreen: =D>

PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Yet.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

Filming day today in BCN.....

GoranF1
GoranF1

PABLOEING wrote:Filming day today in BCN.....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Mandrake
Mandrake

Well, with her being his wife already it is a bit late to start thinking about that :D

NathanOlder

I will keep you updated 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

jericho