2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b
matt_b

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

cplchanb wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 17:10
NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 16:05
Do we know what drivers will be in the press conference tomorrow ?
they need to have vet and ham sitting side by side tomorrow
Might as well because the media wont have any questions for the other drivers.

godlameroso

Ok now that the weekend is a few days away I can with full confidence say any rain will only come towards the end of FP1, and Sunday is going to be quite warm. Basically clear summer weather where I live, and may just require 2 stops.
Saishū kōnā

F1NAC

basti313
basti313

giantfan10 wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 17:24
Vasconia wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 16:24
TAG wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 15:48

Do you mean exaggerated because Ferrari couldn't use their apparent PU steroid additive and so went backwards during the long Baku straights during qualifying? I agree that Austria being a short circuit and lacking the monster straights of Baku is going to have less of a gap to whatever time Mercedes puts up there, but that would apply to everyone not just Ferrari.
It will be interesting to see if the expected PU update for Silverstone can solve this problem. But firstly let´s see if Austria confirms that Ferrari suffers that much form this ban.
Its amazing to me how suddenly in a few weeks time mercedes has suddenly been cleared by the general public in the oil burning accusation game and its now Ferrari who are guilty.
Funny how Horner is the chief accuser in both instances.
Who is he going to accuse next Force india?
So mercedes denied burning oil and its accepted, Ferrari denies burning oil and its rejected...hmmm i wonder why?
Baku is being held up as evidence that Ferrari must have stopped burning oil...does Vettel using an old detuned Pu have anything to do with the deficit in qualifying on a power track no less?
Kimi of course is the poster child for underachievement so his performance has been rejected.
It is not that easy. Merc seems to burn oil from the normal cycle. The control of this will be forbidden next year. Ferrari did a more obvious approach with a second oil tank.
That the Merc works team can use crazy power shots was also obvious during the race when Bot was flying past Stroll with a 30kph advantage on the finish line. Same for Ham who could cut down 7 tenth on the main straight on Vet in one or two laps.

I guess we will see the same here, it is simply a power track. I fear the same for the rest of the season, Merc will be able to pull a few tenth even on the straight in Hungary from the oil. I am very looking forward to next year in this regard, Q will be much more leveled with the new rules.
Don`t russel the hamster!

godlameroso

That's right I forgot about the very sharp outside curbs
Saishū kōnā

iotar__

basti313 wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 20:57
It is not that easy. Merc seems to burn oil from the normal cycle. The control of this will be forbidden next year. Ferrari did a more obvious approach with a second oil tank.
That the Merc works team can use crazy power shots was also obvious during the race when Bot was flying past Stroll with a 30kph advantage on the finish line. Same for Ham who could cut down 7 tenth on the main straight on Vet in one or two laps.

I guess we will see the same here, it is simply a power track. I fear the same for the rest of the season, Merc will be able to pull a few tenth even on the straight in Hungary from the oil. I am very looking forward to next year in this regard, Q will be much more leveled with the new rules.
- Oh come on. No one was flying past and it wasn't 30. Stroll wasn't capable of a single simple defensive move to get a certain second place, that's all. Tow overtake on a straight with zero defence and a bit of risk - close following, late move and cm before the line.

- Ocon in customer FI was "flying past" some cars earlier and Bottas with all the magic burst spent some time behind him and overtook him the normal way - at the very end of the huge straight with DRS as many cars during this race. No 30+ difference to be seen ;-). Hamilton - Vettel example doesn't really help since I missed this overtake. Formality if it was like that.

ClarkBT11

basti313 wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 20:57
giantfan10 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

It will be interesting to see if the expected PU update for Silverstone can solve this problem. But firstly let´s see if Austria confirms that Ferrari suffers that much form this ban.
Its amazing to me how suddenly in a few weeks time mercedes has suddenly been cleared by the general public in the oil burning accusation game and its now Ferrari who are guilty.
So mercedes denied burning oil and its accepted, Ferrari denies burning oil and its rejected...hmmm i wonder why?
Baku is being held up as evidence that Ferrari must have stopped burning oil...does Vettel using an old detuned Pu have anything to do with the deficit in qualifying on a power track no less?
Kimi of course is the poster child for underachievement so his performance has been rejected.

There's no evidence Mercedes s burning oil there is an ex Ferrari employee pointing out a second oil tank to the FIA. As long as you apologize your off the hook.

I doubt anyone will be benefiting from oil burning now given the new ban of certain chemicals that enhance combustion is not allowed in oil. Which was in place before Baku.

Mercedes were 3 tenths quicker down the straights in Baku on my timing app, Ferrari were quicker in the corners. Areo setup counts as well as the PU. If Mercedes had that​ big of an advantage as you are saying, they would put more downforce on the car and be quicker in the corners as well as the straights.

Ferrari haven't understood the tyre break in heat cycle for the last two qualifying sessions just like Mercedes couldn't races before. We haven't got enough data for any conclusions yet.

Artur Craft

Hammerfist wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 23:03
I expect the Mercedes to wipe the floor with Ferrari in Austria. Austria is very much a power hungry track. Mercedes works and customer teams will once again dominate their rivals, just like they did in Canada and Baku.
Once Ferrari bring their rumored upgrade in Silverstone the balance of power may shift, but even if the upgrade is not effective, I believe Ferrari can win at Silverstone, and Hungary, as I think their chassis and aero is better than Merc's.
Entirelly agree with your post. Imo, Canada's and Baku's layout made Mercedes seem mighty because they heavily favours power, like Red Bull Ring as well. That's why Williams and Force India were so good on the last two races after being mediocre on Barcelona and Monaco.

On Silverstone, and especially at the Hungaroring, power has a relatively lower impact on the overall performance, so, Mercedes will be challenged again by Ferrari and maybe Red Bull(if Renault really unleashes more power from that thing, which I'm very skeptical btw). Force India and Williams better make the most of the chances here because they will likely face challenge from likes of Mclaren, STR..... on a place like Hungaroring.

Moose
Moose

My impression is not that it's power circuits that Merc do well at, it's mid-high speed aero circuits, and any circuit that came after they got their car down to the weight limit. If the cars weren't to change from now on (ofc they will, but lets speculate) I'd say that Merc would have the advantage at Austria, Britain, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Malaysia, Japan, America, Mexico, and Mexico. Singapore will be clearly Ferrari, and Abu Dhabi will be a little from both. Of course, we'll have to see what the next round of big car upgrades (probably Silverstone) brings for both teams.

Moose
Moose

Moose wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 05:48
My impression is not that it's power circuits that Merc do well at, it's mid-high speed aero circuits, and any circuit that came after they got their car down to the weight limit. If the cars weren't to change from now on (ofc they will, but lets speculate) I'd say that Merc would have the advantage at Austria, Britain, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Malaysia, Japan, America, Mexico, and Mexico. Singapore will be clearly Ferrari, and Abu Dhabi will be a little from both. Of course, we'll have to see what the next round of big car upgrades (probably Silverstone) brings for both teams.
Don't forget that they'll have the advantage at Mexico.

Moose
Moose

Moose wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 05:49
Moose wrote:
Don't forget that they'll have the advantage at Mexico.
Also, Mexico.

FW17

In Baku Vettel was forced to use an engine that had done over 4000 kms.

I guess they will continue being conservative with an old engine in Austria (the one which leaked in Baku practice) before switching to the a new engine for Silverstone which will be upgraded unit.

Guess Vettel will be lucky to be on the podium in this race and will most likely be behind the 2 Red Bulls

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
TAG wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 15:48

Do you mean exaggerated because Ferrari couldn't use their apparent PU steroid additive and so went backwards during the long Baku straights during qualifying? I agree that Austria being a short circuit and lacking the monster straights of Baku is going to have less of a gap to whatever time Mercedes puts up there, but that would apply to everyone not just Ferrari.
We can´t be sure about that, but after FIA´s statemment about burning oil Ferrari had its weakest qualy. It could be a coincidence only related to tyre heating problems. Austria should enlighten us about it.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 16:05
Do we know what drivers will be in the press conference tomorrow ?

Artur Craft

Moose wrote:
Ferrari definitely have better aero than Mercedes or at least had until Barcelona because Vettel had quite more top speed despite his inferior PU and he was matching the Mercedes on Campsa so that shows the downforce/drag ratio is better on the Ferrari.

Mercedes also better watch out for Red Bull on tracks like Hungaroring where Renault's inferior PU won't affect them as much as on the average track. On Singapore, I think the fight will be between Ferrari and Red Bull, going by Monaco. But things could change with development, obviously, and my prediction can be totally wrong when those GPs happen. For the short term, which I'm more confident about, I can't see Mercedes being outpaced at Red Bull Ring but Ferrari could be the best car at Silverstone if their upgraded PU lives up to it as power matters quite a bit there too, it's not just about downforce.

PS: Hopefully no low class inflamatory questions from the journalists(tough thing to ask for, I know, as they need clicks and stuff) and bad behaviour from the drivers on the PC because I like a good fight on the track, not people bickering outside the car.