Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jagunx51

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

godsire wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 18:11
Mirror aerodynamic development is mostly dictated by the aim of reducing the drag of a flat reflective surface. Curving the top and bottom surface around substantially reduced drag. However, any 'boat tailing' added to a baseline mirror configuration would still generate a wake behind that sends lossy flow on top of the sidepod and towards the top of the diffuser.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn30 ... ilMods.jpg

Ferrari opened up the front of the mirror, which fills in the wake behind the mirror with a fresh, more energetic freestream air. It also decreases profile drag as the pressure difference between upstream and downstream of the mirror is reduced because of this channel (top and bottom duct).
like this ?

............!!!!

PlatinumZealot

I'm late to the party! My sources were right again!

Post by PlatinumZealot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:02 pm

The holes on top of the sidepod will actually be bigger than the holes at the front of the side pod... So they say..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

jagunx51

EDIT : add this pic

............!!!!

jagunx51

small fins

............!!!!

jagunx51

............!!!!

jagunx51

............!!!!

Dazed1
Dazed1

George-Jung wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 17:34
dankane24 wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 16:43
Are the mirrors directing airflow down into the top sidepod intake?
Same thoughts here..
They look a few inches lower than on the SF70, would that be as functional? Could you see far enough back?

wuzak
wuzak

From Autosport forum member TheF1BOB.

Sure looks like an inlet.

F1NAC

wuzak wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 01:36
From Autosport forum member TheF1BOB.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWpsx8OXUAAh2_j.jpg

Sure looks like an inlet.
It sure looks like sloppy PS

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jmvmeneses wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 22:35
roon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 21:38
godsire wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 21:36
Still think these are just 3 simple 'teeth' as Mercedes and then Red Bull have used (RB13 below):
https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 132485.jpg
I agree.

https://formulaone21.files.wordpress.co ... ld-a-c.jpg
Comparing it to the RB the teeth is somewhat under the floor while the ferrari have it above the floor. I think it has to be an intake for cooling or directing air somewhere. We need a more clear picture of that area to really know what they are trying to do.
Rules don't allow an opening at the bottom of the sidepods/leading edge of the floor.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wuzak
wuzak

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 02:06
jmvmeneses wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 22:35
Comparing it to the RB the teeth is somewhat under the floor while the ferrari have it above the floor. I think it has to be an intake for cooling or directing air somewhere. We need a more clear picture of that area to really know what they are trying to do.
Rules don't allow an opening at the bottom of the sidepods/leading edge of the floor.
Don't they?

bill shoe
bill shoe

I think that hole would be allowed with the usual legality slit somewhere. All we're seeing there is a typical combination of baregeboard vanes and floor that are so well integrated it may look visually like an illegal hole in the floor. But again just a gap between bargeboard structure and real floor. Actually, I'm not even sure a legality slit would be needed there.

wuzak
wuzak

Who said the hole goes through the floor.

It could be a duct that leads to a cooler, or just uses the air to cool, for the battery or control electronics.

Or it could duct air to the rear of the car.

It doesn't have to go through the floor.

kraschcorse27
kraschcorse27

wuzak wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 03:54
Who said the hole goes through the floor.

It could be a duct that leads to a cooler, or just uses the air to cool, for the battery or control electronics.

Or it could duct air to the rear of the car.

It doesn't have to go through the floor.
I agree, wuzak. Maybe that floor intake isnt feeding the diffuser or exiting to the floor at all. . The floor/diffuser/rear suspension area so well disguised.
I have an idea that I hope some of you guys can shoot down, maybe then I can stop mulling it over;I havent seen another 2018 car with high, narrow and tiny sidepod opening, nor such a tiny waist. Could the lower bargeboard design(which seems pretty unique on the SF71H) feed the " floor intake" for the purpose of cleaning up and increasing the volume of air passing between the floor and the underside of narrow, side pod?
Or...(and maybe I am showing my lack of aero knowledge with this one) ...The rake of the floor seems so radical to me too. Could it be so raked-out that it begins to create drag? And at higher speeds, there is a position to place the exit of these" floor intakes" to either
1. Negate/eliminate/reduce the extra drag created by the steep rake.
2. Reduce or optimize the wake shape?

Vanja #66

Guys, if holes are allowed, that means multiple closed cross sections are allowed in that area. If that was true, teams would have slats (flaps in front of wings) on floor leading edges a year ago, as it would provide substantial aero gains - for both increased downforce and efficiency.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie