McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: McLaren MCL34

makecry wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:53
M840TR wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:45
I believe the source is this interview Lando gave to Sky at the car launch. He says the car doesn't have as much downforce as last year but they're making gains every week. Also says everyone will be initially slower than before but will eventually make progress.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ens-launch
TBH, I dont think they will ever recover in this set of regulation. You can just find so much downforce every week with limited CFD and wind tunnel time and more or less zero testing. They are not going to recover unless there is a new set of regulations that needs cars to be rebuilt from ground up and even then you gotta be lucky.
Who's to say really. There sure were reports of Redbull and Merc regaining 2018 DF levels which seem to be mostly from stretching the packaging and bigger RW.

M840TR
M840TR

TheRacingElf
TheRacingElf

makecry wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 08:59
So someone on Autosport posted that Lando on one of the podcasts said that they have not yet recovered last year's downforce levels. Kinda disappointing if true. It's gonna be a long season.
Ocon told Sky during the shakedown that Mercedes hadn't recovered all of last year's downforce either, they were very close but not there yet.

hollus

Back on topic, please. This is the car thread. Whether the car will be fast or not in general belongs in the team thread. Whether it will be faster or slower than other team’s 100% belongs in the team thread.
Thank you.
Rivals, not enemies.

GoranF1
GoranF1

DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 17:26
Where? The only thing I see is the reflection of the rear crash structure.
A reflection whit a pillar.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

lio007 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 13:52
GoranF1 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 13:36
DiogoBrand wrote:

Can you tell us about the loophole McLaren has found which for they got green light from the FIA?
Its a loop whit a hole in it.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

lio007

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 17:14
lio007 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

Can you tell us about the loophole McLaren has found which for they got green light from the FIA?
Aha...ok

ringo

Looking on this car, makes me wonder if mcalaren is sharing technology with renault; especially aero and mechanical.
Each top team has a "junior" team. Renault has probably made a technological alliance with Mclaren to fast track data collection and development.
The bodies of both cars look eerily similar.

I am more confident with the MCL34 than any other mclaren since the 2012 chassis. I like how it looks and don't see any reason why it would have a developmental bottleneck. It's a shame Alonso left; but he is always walking away from good cars, so it's a good omen for Mclaren. :lol:

There is nothing that the other cars have that this one doesn't have or is limited to. So expect unhindered development.
For Sure!!

M840TR
M840TR

ringo wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 17:30
Looking on this car, makes me wonder if mcalaren is sharing technology with renault; especially aero and mechanical.
Each top team has a "junior" team. Renault has probably made a technological alliance with Mclaren to fast track data collection and development.

I am more confident with the MCL34 than any other mclaren since the 2012 chassis. I like how it looks and don't see any reason why it would have a developmental bottleneck. It's a shame Alonso left; but he is always walking away from good cars, so it's a good omen for Mclaren. :lol:

There is nothing that the other cars have that this one doesn't have or is limited to. So expect unhindered development.
Unlikely that they're sharing anything. Even collaboration on engine development is a stretch at the moment let alone IP. Also the car, as good as it may seem, is unlikely to win the WC which is the only thing Alonso wants.

_cerber1

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 17:14
lio007 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:

Can I clarify what this is about?

hollus

Not here guys. As long as the loophole remains “potential” it shall also remain out of this thread.

Loophole posts, as well as those about possible finishing positions for the team and the performance of McLarens of seasons past, have been moved to the team thread.
If you look back and find your post missing, there is a good chance that it is over there. Please, feel free to continue those discussions there.

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27824
Rivals, not enemies.

Blackout

ringo wrote:

Which parts of the body do you mean? because these two cars do not look that similar to me.
Your not the fist person to say that. Other persons wrote that when I posted this comparision... and said they have similar sidepods... yes they have Ferrari/Rb style sidepods with vagely similarly shaped intakes... like many other cars...

proteus

proteus wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:02
Blackout wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 18:05
ringo wrote:

Which parts of the body do you mean? because these two cars do not look that similar to me.
Your not the fist person to say that. Other persons wrote that when I posted this comparision... and said they have similar sidepods... yes they have Ferrari/Rb style sidepods with vagely similarly shaped intakes... like many other cars...
https://i87.servimg.com/u/f87/14/79/55/26/mcl34_10.jpg
If they have really decided to collaborate, then this is a very smart move. Ferrari, Mercedes and Redbull have taken an advantage by getting themself B teams to test for them, so partnering between Renault and Mclaren is smart and absolutely needed if atleast one of them wishes to score podiums or wins in the future.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

f1rules
f1rules

seems renault is running similar fw concept to mclaren
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dzi2xdJX4AMkVEp.jpg:large

PhillipM
PhillipM

GoranF1 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
Cannot be a reflection because it's visibily blocking light from the slot gap.