F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:49
DiogoBrand wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 05:26
after all that's happened to Honda I find it really difficult for another manufacturer to want to join, even with the reduced complexity from 2021 onwards.
Agree, but it was even more difficult before. When Honda joined there was huge develpment restrictions with the token system.

I said it at the moment I knew Honda would join F1, they were really brave... or really stupid, depending on their results, wich have been very very poor

But I still applaud their effort, in his position I would have never assumed such a high risk
I still think that the most underwhelming performance has been made by Renault. They were from the begining but still they are cleary behind Mercedes and Ferrari, and the Italians didnt´have either a good start in 2014.

Honda did many mistakes like investing less that what they should have done, among others.

etusch

djos wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:51
McMika98 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:26
Suprised with how well planted and balaned the Haas is going through the corner. Renault should be worried.
Renault have two quality drivers as opposed to a pair of clowns, so I wouldn't be too concerned if I were them.
Last year's drivers were bad?

Sevach
Sevach

zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:38
https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel- ... 29053.html

According to this article, the Red Bull camp estimates that, over a single lap, Merc is currently down 0.5 sec/lap to Ferrari for 2 reasons: 1) Ferrari's FW design and 2) the Ferrari's ability to squat its rear end down on the straights to lower drag.

Article also raves about how stable the Ferrari is under late braking and the driveability of the PU/powertrain.

Don't know how reliable Autobild is.

On the other hand, we have other paddock gossip indicating that Ferrari's looking a bit off when it comes to tire management and pace over a longer stint.

What in the world is going on lol.
These are new rules, by next week everything could be different.

Particularly what to do with the wings seems wide open, whenever teams bring their updated packages, be it at the next text or Melbourne can change things night and day.

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:49
DiogoBrand wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 05:26
after all that's happened to Honda I find it really difficult for another manufacturer to want to join, even with the reduced complexity from 2021 onwards.
Agree, but it was even more difficult before. When Honda joined there was huge develpment restrictions with the token system.

I said it at the moment I knew Honda would join F1, they were really brave... or really stupid, depending on their results, wich have been very very poor

But I still applaud their effort, in his position I would have never assumed such a high risk
I think they decided it because of Technology of this engine formula. They have confidence in their ability of producing high performance engine. If they had a better collaborative partnership, they could close gap sooner.

djos

etusch wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 09:02
djos wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:51
McMika98 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 08:26
Suprised with how well planted and balaned the Haas is going through the corner. Renault should be worried.
Renault have two quality drivers as opposed to a pair of clowns, so I wouldn't be too concerned if I were them.
Last year's drivers were bad?
I meant the Haas drivers are clowns.
"In downforce we trust"

zibby43
zibby43

Sevach wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 09:08
These are new rules, by next week everything could be different.

Particularly what to do with the wings seems wide open, whenever teams bring their updated packages, be it at the next text or Melbourne can change things night and day.
Excellent point.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anybody know, or have info on long runs by Red Bull? I can't seem to find any details on that...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Morteza

Autosport Live wrote:Renault confirms it will not be running with DRS this morning after the failure Ricciardo suffered yesterday:

"Nico is behind the wheel this morning and will work on a programme aimed at shorter based runs assessing the softer compounds on the Pirelli range. We will not run with DRS this morning."
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 09:59
Does anybody know, or have info on long runs by Red Bull? I can't seem to find any details on that...
This was compiled on a Spanish site:
Day 1 https://soymotor.com/articulos/analisis ... sta-960475
Morning (only some of the laps, I don't know why they cut out the first few hours)
Afternoon

Day 2 https://soymotor.com/articulos/analisis ... ase-960530
Morning
Afternoon
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Verstappen on track. Hamilton probably won't use these considering he's vegan... :lol:

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

AMuS Ticker just put in a post referring to the noticeable tire degradation of Leclerc`s long run yesterday. They were talking to a different team about that. The guy stated that they have whitnessed that Leclerc`s tires were already 8 laps old and was already suffering from graining

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Artur Craft wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 00:59
On this specific point I think Merc, and RB, opted for the better solution. I still think this Ferrari/Alfa solution is not the right solution
Why Do you think so?

jumpingfish

TimmTurbo wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:33
AMuS Ticker just put in a post referring to the noticeable tire degradation of Leclerc`s long run yesterday. They were talking to a different team about that. The guy stated that they have whitnessed that Leclerc`s tires were already 8 laps old and was already suffering from graining
As I understood with translation: AmuS wrote - tires were used much, so after additional 8 laps they were granulated a lot

Jambier

Morteza wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:05
Autosport Live wrote:Renault confirms it will not be running with DRS this morning after the failure Ricciardo suffered yesterday:

"Nico is behind the wheel this morning and will work on a programme aimed at shorter based runs assessing the softer compounds on the Pirelli range. We will not run with DRS this morning."
But have they since day 1?
On day 1 DRS was not ready, they don't use it.
On day 2 it broke when they tried to use it.

Now they won't use it again: Very difficult to read Renault's times then