2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 04:34
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 04:30
Phil wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 04:28

It’s funny that you mention engine, but since they came out with spec3, i never really felt they made any gains. At Spa, they were supposedly running the engines turned down due to the reliability concerns and then at Monza, no one really said much. I do think some of that sudden performance Ferrari unlocked strange.... did Mercedes just stagnate or did Ferrari make a huge jump?

Either way, i am most shocked that Mercedes didnt nail purple in S1. That was their sector. I could only assume the green track and the wind had some influence and just went away from them?
Maybe the Ferrari is working the tyres a little harder. Tyre deg could be a big thing tomor...... in 160 minutes.
Indeed. I’m wondering if that’s what Mercedes have done. Remember they were eventually only 2/10ths down at the end. Did they go with a race setup expecting their pace to keep poll anyway?

Yeah very much, looking back over the last 5 races,

Spa 7 tenths off pole, appeared to have better race pace than Ferrari.
Monza half a tenth off pole, definetly had better race pace.
Singapore 2 tenths off pole, appeared to have better race pace.
Russia 4 tenths off pole, was able to stay in range on harder tyres in stint 1.
Japan 2 tenths off pole.......
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

F1Krof

Can't wait for Merc to start saying: "... we were losing 6 tenths on the straights" 😁😁😁
Wroom wroom

atanatizante

Being 8km/h faster Ferrari was gaining almost 4 tenths on the straights but their best improvement seems to be not only the high-speed section, as we could see between the turn 3 and 4 at Sochi, but also in medium speed ones for being on par with Merc. Only in the slow speed, they are behind them and maybe RB also ...

On the other hand, Charles was aware that Merc has a better race pace and it`ll be interesting to see whether Ferrari at least has improved also their tyre management ...

Merc`s only chance to win this race is either to go long on the first stint or maybe it`s better to do an early and a suboptimum undercut than gaining track they could show their race pace staying longer on the second stint bearing in mind they have also better tyre management ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

nevill3

Damon Hill has said that with a head wind through the esses all the cars would have "maximum downforce" and this may have helped Ferrari in the first sector. If the Mercs already had more downforce then the extra would have had a detrimental effect. Great job by Seb today, lets hope we have a great race, the top eight places are two by two, showing that the cars are the deciding factor here.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Such a bizarre qualifying session. If they didn't decide to run qualifying the Mercs would have been on the front row and were the fastest car all of Friday. The Mercs still seemed faster up through Q2 and then q3 happened and they unleashed full power it seems. I can't recall seeing such a turnaround. It's almost like Ferrari was toying with Merc. Lewis getting outdone by Bottas and Albon matching Verstappen's time were the other surprises.

Sevach
Sevach

atanatizante wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 04:45
Being 8km/h faster Ferrari was gaining almost 4 tenths on the straights but their best improvement seems to be not only the high-speed section, as we could see between the turn 3 and 4 at Sochi, but also in medium speed ones for being on par with Merc. Only in the slow speed, they are behind them and maybe RB also ...

On the other hand, Charles was aware that Merc has a better race pace and it`ll be interesting to see whether Ferrari at least has improved also their tyre management ...

Merc`s only chance to win this race is either to go long on the first stint or maybe it`s better to do an early and a suboptimum undercut than gaining track they could show their race pace staying longer on the second stint bearing in mind they have also better tyre management ...
In the old days Ferrari would tell Leclerc to pace himself (Suzuka with 1 DRS zone is very difficult to overtake), while Vettel blasts away.
However, given recent occurences that's probably not possible.

GPR-A

What happened to Red Bull Honda? Suzuka special engine with a new fuel, almost 8 tenths away from pole! Is that a normal qualifying for RBR where Albon matching Max to dot?

Ferrari driver battle is really exciting and fun to watch. I am sure it would be feisty battle on the start.

atanatizante

The reason ALB matched VER time on qualy: Max`s car was set up with a little bit understeer in order to protect better the rear tyres in the race. And that was his statement on the parade grid lap ... maybe Merc did that too as we could see a big understeer moment on BOT vs. VET head to head qualy lap analysis ...

Also, VET has another approach the last chicane as we could see he is not attacking the first kerb like BOT did and unsettles the car more and didn`t be able to put the power down on the exit after the last turn ...
Jesus

atanatizante

GPR -A wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 05:49
What happened to Red Bull Honda? Suzuka special engine with a new fuel, almost 8 tenths away from pole! Is that a normal qualifying for RBR where Albon matching Max to dot?

Ferrari driver battle is really exciting and fun to watch. I am sure it would be feisty battle on the start.
Seems to me that RB has adopted the same Merc strategy for setting the car more towards the race, bearing in mind they have at least the same tyre management in the race if not better ...
Jesus

raymondu999

atanatizante wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 05:56
The reason ALB matched VER time on qualy: Max`s car was set up with a little bit understeer in order to protect better the rear tyres in the race. And that was his statement on the parade grid lap ... maybe Merc did that too as we could see a big understeer moment on BOT vs. VET head to head qualy lap analysis ...

Also, VET has another approach the last chicane as we could see he is not attacking the first kerb like BOT did and unsettles the car more and didn`t be able to put the power down on the exit after the last turn ...
Bottas seems to do that a lot to that turn, he tries to carry all the speed into the chicane. If we looked back to 2010, thats the same kind of thing vettel did to the final chicane at catalunya
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Zarathustra

Suzuka is a real driver circuit- great to see Vettel with his Ferrari on pole.

What happend to Hamilton..? :lol:
Trouble having to keep his focus- or did he miss FP3 more than others?

GPR-A

Zarathustra wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 06:11
Suzuka is a real driver circuit- great to see Vettel with his Ferrari on pole.

What happend to Hamilton..? :lol:
Trouble having to keep his focus- or did he miss FP3 more than others?
I guess he is simply happy to have won the WDC and not wanting to risk it anymore, whereas the others are desperate for a race win? :lol: :lol: :lol:

atanatizante

Having a draggy car Merc was loosing more in the esses as it seems they have had headwind in that particular section on the qualy ... And that was a blow for their latest update coz these were aimed more for increasing the high-speed cornering speed ...
Jesus

NathanOlder

I have a sneaky feeling Lewis isn't bothered by this race. He is going to be happy to follow Valterri home.

reason is, is he beats Bottas here today, then its very very likely that Hamilton will win the WDC in Mexico.

If he has a couple of races following Bottas home, then he will very likely win the WDC in the US.

Much more to his liking for a WDC party celebration.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

atanatizante

Ted said that Ferrari was saving a set of new soft tyres and he thinks that they are on a 2 stop race in contrast with Merc which is opting for a one-stop one ...
Now seeing the tyre situation Merc has two new medium tyres which could give them a 2 stop race with a short fist stint on soft then followed by another 2 stints on medium tyres that could give them the advantage to run them harder ...
Jesus