COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

AJI wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:50
Sevach wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:49
I hate it, but it's the right decision.
Now to the next inevitable right decision...
Which is..?
Put the season on hold.

AMG.Tzan

How on earth can the FIA cancel the whole GP weekend because of just ONE person since every single one of the teams are already there and in about 14 hours time FP1 is about to begin??

I find it a bit silly of Mclaren to cause the cancellation of the whole event just for one person being positive to the corona virus!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

patient1223
patient1223

Cancelling the event would cost the entire F1 promoter, teams...etc a lot of money. I guess that's why they are reluctant to cancel the race. However, I am really surprised that they don't have enough countermeasures. For example, few people in the paddock wear masks. As COVID-19 is highly contagious, this put everyone in the paddock in high risk.

santos
santos

McLaren is out of the GP... i don't belive that there will be a race.

AJI
AJI

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:52
How on earth can the FIA cancel the whole GP weekend because of just ONE person since every single one of the teams are already there and in about 14 hours time FP1 is about to begin??

I find it a bit silly of Mclaren to cause the cancellation of the whole event just for one person being positive to the corona virus!
More are coming

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

This is just the beginning, I can't see the VN race being held at all. Travel to other countries is being restricted. I think the season will ultimately be put on hold. I can't really see how it can be a fair competition if teams start pulling out. They could resume the season later in the year, but it'll be a short one.

For this weekend, they could run it as a non-championship race... heck, it might even be best to make it a "non-championship season".
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 12 Mar 2020, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

JonoNic

So will Mclaren now be quarantined in Australia for two weeks or just this person? Do they go back to the UK?
Always find the gap then use it.

AJI
AJI

There are still more personnel to be reported as positive. Let's just wait for the next announcements

Predator

If McLaren are quarantined, I guess that rules them out of Bahrain (if it takes place) too?

AJI
AJI

'Several' McLaren personnel tested positive just reported on Sky Oz

Spacepace

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 13:52

Agree

AMG.Tzan

First race of the season will be Zandvoort May 3rd it seems...if everything goes according to plan of course!

Since Bahrain is only a week away there's no way they'll let the race go ahead! The Vietnam GP was never on for me since the Corona virus outbreak...they are close to China and there's just too much danger going ahead there!

Non-championship events would have been a nice idea but i don't see anyone of the teams going ahead with this idea!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

PlatinumZealot

Rodak wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 04:09
The NBA (American basketball) has suspended the season until further notice and will not play games after a player on the Utah Jazz team tested positive for Coronavirus. I think F1 is skating on thin ice here and may have to act. Also, Trump has suspended travel between the US and Europe for 30 days; for some reason travel to England is still allowed, although I seem to recollect they are pretty close together and England does have cases.......
England is not in EU amymore lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

DChemTech
DChemTech

They're blocking Shengen countries, not the EU. The UK was never in Shengen anyway. But still, it feels more like a political attack from Trump than anything else. As far as containing the disease, there's not much to be gained from banning flights if the current internal measures of the USA stay as they are...

JonoNic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Rodak wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 04:09
The NBA (American basketball) has suspended the season until further notice and will not play games after a player on the Utah Jazz team tested positive for Coronavirus. I think F1 is skating on thin ice here and may have to act. Also, Trump has suspended travel between the US and Europe for 30 days; for some reason travel to England is still allowed, although I seem to recollect they are pretty close together and England does have cases.......
England is not in EU amymore lol
So travel via England
Always find the gap then use it.