COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mmred
mmred

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Big Tea wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 15:47
If there is anyone who can build an identical unit and demonstrate it does not breach a patent it is a F1 team. Lol
I see Pink ventilators conquering the world

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 11:37

In Iran number of new cases is stable.
Iran has a problem with alcohol poisoning. Someone started a rumour that drinking alcohol prevents infection. A large number (many dozens) of people have been poisoned by drinking industrial alcohol.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 18:07
sosic2121 wrote:

Iran has a problem with alcohol poisoning. Someone started a rumour that drinking alcohol prevents infection. A large number (many dozens) of people have been poisoned by drinking industrial alcohol.
Industrial like isopropanol? Or ethanol contaminated with methanol?

wesley123
wesley123

timbo wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 13:35
Phil wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 12:20
In regards to China's numbers; I do also question their accuracy. You can only count, what you test. If you don't let people out of their houses, how will you test them? How will they show up in numbers?

However, what is very encouraging is Japan:

Positive cases: 963
Since yesterday: +20
Fatalities: 33
Recovered: 215
Still active: 715
Serious critical: 49
Cases per 1M population: 8

Japan is a country with a population of 126 Million people with 38 Million in the metropolitan area of Tokyo. To only have so few cases is staggering. They also reacted very early, though I don't know to what lengths they have gone.
I read a report from a person who works in Japan, and while it is only a single report and has to be taken with a grain of salt, paints a not very positive picture.
The said person felt ill, had a fever and went to a hospital. She was tested for flu (negative) and asked if she could be tested for COVID, but was refused and told that only people coming from China are being tested.
So it might well be that the number of cases is underreported.
The amount of cases are definitely underreported. But as they prioritize on people who are at risk it possibly is a relatively good guide to see how the spread is going.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 18:19
The amount of cases are definitely underreported. But as they prioritize on people who are at risk it possibly is a relatively good guide to see how the spread is going.
If the report is true, they are ignoring internal transmission, which they already definitely have.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NL_Fer wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 18:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 18:07
sosic2121 wrote:

Industrial like isopropanol? Or ethanol contaminated with methanol?
No idea I'm afraid.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10
LM10

Italy: 6557 new cases and 793 new deaths

That's crazy. The peak is estimated to be reached in 1 or 2 weeks.

anzx
anzx

LM10 wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 19:30

Isn't that strange that, the most affected countries are those with the weakest economy in eurozone. Italy and Spain, both countries were more or less insolvent. I believe there is more behind than just a virus.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

anzx wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 19:54
LM10 wrote:
Isn't that strange that, the most affected countries are those with the weakest economy in eurozone. Italy and Spain, both countries were more or less insolvent. I believe there is more behind than just a virus.
Please elaborate on what you mean and what evidence you are basing your theory on. It makes sense and is probable the less well off nations will have fewer resources to deal with an event like this.

mmred
mmred

anzx wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Italy has the greatest debt but It s not a weak economy

hollus

Italy has the largest percentage of population over 65 years in Europe. Spain, with less elderly... don't get me started (I am Spanish). Cuts in social care and the health system since the 2008 crisis are a factor, but also, there were large mass demonstrations in each city and full soccer stadiums on march 8th, 13 days ago, when we should have learnt from Italy. We did one day too late, I won't go into the politics behind that, but there were politics behind that.
But social dynamics might also be a factor. Meeting in large groups is part of the culture in Spain and Italy, while for example, some degree of social distance and extreme cleanliness is a social thing in Japan. Incidentally, using a mask is also perfectly normal in Japan, has been for years, where people always did that at the first sign of having a cold. Japan has much less growth of Covid-19 than other countries.
Rivals, not enemies.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

An incredibly moving interview from an A&E doctor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

bluechris

anzx wrote:
LM10 wrote:

3jawchuck wrote:
anzx wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Please elaborate on what you mean and what evidence you are basing your theory on. It makes sense and is probable the less well off nations will have fewer resources to deal with an event like this.
This is wrong. Greece and portugal are the weakest economies in Europe.

Big Tea

anzx wrote:
LM10 wrote:

They are also the European countries which seem to me to have most Chinese run/owned businesses in so would have had more than others return to china for new year.

(I have not seen the stat on this, but I have been to most European countries quite often and there seem to be far more to me. I do not mean big finance, but family run where they would close up for new yer and go home. or some from each, and they mix socially )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shrieker

Being the way we are -scientifically illiterate, or just plain ignorant rather- we're well on our way to become a second Italy. The weather was quite nice on the equinox and many ppl did not stay at home, ignoring all warnings; especially the older folk. It's going to be even better tomorrow... The government has officially banned people over 65 from going outside, and to be honest they had no other choice left.
Last edited by Shrieker on 22 Mar 2020, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk