[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

https://f1i.com/news/394493-mclaren-fra ... model.html

In short, Covid brought about cash flow problems, Mclaren had a fragile business model and selling a stake in the F1 team was going to happen anyway as the F1 teams model wasn't quite right for the group. Otherwise known as, we can't afford to support it when it doesn't do well.

From McLaren Group executive chairman Paul Walsh
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 03:09
diffuser wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 18:48
The structure change freeze of the 2020 cars are for cost savings. The tokens are a way to equally allow some changes, limited bypass of the freeze. You don't have the tokens without the freeze. So they are both part of the cost freeze for 2021.
This is probably a tomato/tomAto moment. But... One is a cost freeze, the other is a small exception to it to react to a contractual necessity on the part of one of the teams, as well as an opportunity to respond to teams who complained they didn't want to carry over their more serious flaws.

Ross Brawn:

"The problem with the freeze was that we had a team that was changing an engine, McLaren. You can't ignore that, you can't say that you can't change your engine.

"So we had to find a fair system that was going to accommodate their need to make the change.

"We also recognise that some teams may have a flaw in their car that they shouldn't have to live with for two years. The token system allows them just that little bit of scope to put right what they had wrong."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toke ... n/4807652/

I'm on a diet, and I'm doing well, I've lost 2 kg already. I have every intention of sticking to my diet. But my partner has come home with some donuts. I want to say no, but I can't, so I eat it. It's not part of my weight loss programme, it's my very tasty exception but I resolve to eat no more donuts!

Mclaren bought a nice donut (caramel filling, icing and nuts on the top), and then everyone else wanted one too, and then they got back on their diet.
LOL

_cerber1

_cerber1

Just thoughts out loud. What are the chances that Ivan Roldan was exiled to IndyCar for a detailed study of the work of Venturi pipes. And as soon as 2021 is allowed to work on the new regulations, it will be returned to the base of England.

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 13:30
Just thoughts out loud. What are the chances that Ivan Roldan was exiled to IndyCar for a detailed study of the work of Venturi pipes. And as soon as 2021 is allowed to work on the new regulations, it will be returned to the base of England.
Just an FYI, he didn't get completely "thrown out" of F1. He was still working on an advisory role even after he got assigned to Indy. McLaren probably has a lot of engineers from their Indy program who are capable of bringing knowledge to the F1 side. I don't think Ivan was assigned there for that purpose. It very well may be just because they needed Ivan's experience and expertise there, in order to bring the Indy program up to speed.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
2021 is the year of the cap. He's being sent there to stay under the cap. Now what he works on over there is another story. That will be a major control issue for the FIA, how do you control a guy like that for being paid to mow your lawn, when he's actually doing F1 aero. You'd think that if they split his salary and year between Indy and F1, it would be frowned upon by FIA.

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 17:56
_cerber1 wrote:
2021 is the year of the cap. He's being sent there to stay under the cap. Now what he works on over there is another story. That will be a major control issue for the FIA, how do you control a guy like that for being paid to mow your lawn, when he's actually doing F1 aero. You'd think that if they split his salary and year between Indy and F1, it would be frowned upon by FIA.
Moreso, how do they police someone, such as him, emailing an "idea" to the F1 team to "develop"?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 07:24
mwillems wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 03:09
diffuser wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 18:48
The structure change freeze of the 2020 cars are for cost savings. The tokens are a way to equally allow some changes, limited bypass of the freeze. You don't have the tokens without the freeze. So they are both part of the cost freeze for 2021.
This is probably a tomato/tomAto moment. But... One is a cost freeze, the other is a small exception to it to react to a contractual necessity on the part of one of the teams, as well as an opportunity to respond to teams who complained they didn't want to carry over their more serious flaws.

Ross Brawn:

"The problem with the freeze was that we had a team that was changing an engine, McLaren. You can't ignore that, you can't say that you can't change your engine.

"So we had to find a fair system that was going to accommodate their need to make the change.

"We also recognise that some teams may have a flaw in their car that they shouldn't have to live with for two years. The token system allows them just that little bit of scope to put right what they had wrong."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toke ... n/4807652/

I'm on a diet, and I'm doing well, I've lost 2 kg already. I have every intention of sticking to my diet. But my partner has come home with some donuts. I want to say no, but I can't, so I eat it. It's not part of my weight loss programme, it's my very tasty exception but I resolve to eat no more donuts!

Mclaren bought a nice donut (caramel filling, icing and nuts on the top), and then everyone else wanted one too, and then they got back on their diet.
LOL
And no doubt someone is going to try to eat a donut when the rest of weight watchers is not looking, hoping the scales don't find them out!

-Bandit

mwillems

adrianjordan wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 03:00
diffuser wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
Moreso, how do they police someone, such as him, emailing an "idea" to the F1 team to "develop"?
I don't think that idea was even considered, as when they spoke about how to police the cloning of existing cars, they had only just begun to develop the ideas around going through the history of the design development to ensure it was done in house and without too much copying.

How do they even police the use of CFD? If for instance something is sent to be processed away from Mclarens own CFD systems, but somehow enters a development phase as a piece of inspiration from a designer, how would that be identified? Not that they will be doing that with the Indy team, but just as an example of how hard might it be to actually police the existing regs before you even discuss the new regulations.

Disgruntled employees are probably the biggest threat to those sorts of activities.

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 03:33
adrianjordan wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I don't think that idea was even considered, as when they spoke about how to police the cloning of existing cars, they had only just begun to develop the ideas around going through the history of the design development to ensure it was done in house and without too much copying.

How do they even police the use of CFD? If for instance something is sent to be processed away from Mclarens own CFD systems, but somehow enters a development phase as a piece of inspiration from a designer, how would that be identified? Not that they will be doing that with the Indy team, but just as an example of how hard might it be to actually police the existing regs before you even discuss the new regulations.

Disgruntled employees are probably the biggest threat to those sorts of activities.
Surely if (say) Mclaren runs an idea for something on their Road/Sport car that is relevant to a similar shape on the F1 car, and just happens not to actually be used at all because they decided not to run with that model, well, you can not unlearn things, and it can not be included in the F1 allocated time?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 03:48
mwillems wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 03:33
adrianjordan wrote:

Surely if (say) Mclaren runs an idea for something on their Road/Sport car that is relevant to a similar shape on the F1 car, and just happens not to actually be used at all because they decided not to run with that model, well, you can not unlearn things, and it can not be included in the F1 allocated time?
I don't imagine there would be any way for the FIA to determine anything, especially if you made a choice to blur the edges of how that information arrived, or obfuscate it entirely.

Nor do I think that the FIA ever tried to clarify that too much as everything seems to be more of a gentleman's agreement, and if so it is on this that the budget cap has been bolted on to.

I'm sure CFD is not really policed apart from looking at data every couple of weeks, I don't think the movement of information outside of the F1 team could really be policed, unless a team were having too many eureka moments. If that's the case, it's a fairly hefty hole in the new cost cutting, and the opportunity for teams to get a big headstart on the 2022 regs.

It will be happening somewhere on the grid. Almost certainly at Ferrari, in my opinion, especially given the current plight.

-Bandit

diffuser

You wouldn't consider an e-mail, work. Suggestions aren't a big deal. They probably happen now between teams even. Some of these guys know each other and get along. It's hours of aero work, you want to prevent in this case. Just cause I don't know how they police, doesn't mean they don't. :shock:

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 04:32
You wouldn't consider an e-mail, work. Suggestions aren't a big deal. They probably happen now between teams even. Some of these guys know each other and get along. It's hours of aero work, you want to prevent in this case. Just cause I don't know how they police, doesn't mean they don't. :shock:
For the CFD I checked through timterweb and its seems to be quite true that checking is very thin.

For the sharing of information with staff out of the budget cap, how would it be possible to even know. I'd refer back to the widely held suspicion that conversations between RP and Merc helped RP develop their design, but were impossible to prove.

Its ground that has been gone over before, just not in the context of budget caps.

-Bandit

bauc

Out of topic

I always wondered if it is possible for the AERO guys to run CFD simulations at home on their own PC's and then, come back to work next morning and just implement what you have learned...
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 04:32
"Please find attached to this email my suggestion for the new underfloor aero design you mentioned in passing the other day at the water cooler. It's just an idea that we've run through several evolutions in our CFD and confirmed with scale model wind tunnel time to be better than the one you have at present. Anyway, just an idea I had, that I thought you might find interesting."

🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️