2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:02
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:54
Willy wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:48
Could it be that Austria is a shorter circuit and hence better energy deployment?
Austria is shorter true, but in the previous GP, when you compared Checo and Max, Checo often had more power available at the start of the race so it doesn't suggest there was a circuit specific recovery limitation. It just suggest Max using a lower mode than Checo.

Vanja has been reporting on this for a few races. It made sense to me.
Or was it just tyre saving by lifting and coasting? I just don't believe it is sandbagging. It is more just being conservative.
you are only allowed one engine mode courtesy of redbull.the era of party modes is long gone

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bill wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:14
Cassius wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 17:02
AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 16:54

Austria is shorter true, but in the previous GP, when you compared Checo and Max, Checo often had more power available at the start of the race so it doesn't suggest there was a circuit specific recovery limitation. It just suggest Max using a lower mode than Checo.

Vanja has been reporting on this for a few races. It made sense to me.
Or was it just tyre saving by lifting and coasting? I just don't believe it is sandbagging. It is more just being conservative.
you are only allowed one engine mode courtesy of redbull.the era of party modes is long gone
Not the whole truth. The internal combustion engine is only allowed 1 mode. The MGU-K can use different levels of recharge and deployment.
A lion must kill its prey.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The supposedly stronger front tire for Silverstone should help RB. It was mentioned a few pages ago that the limitation is still the front end and in the Sprint, GP said the left rear was fine, and that the left front was the limitation.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 18:32
The supposedly stronger front tire for Silverstone should help RB. It was mentioned a few pages ago that the limitation is still the front end and in the Sprint, GP said the left rear was fine, and that the left front was the limitation.
Pierre waché mentioned they still have trouble with a lazy front end

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... -red-bull/
“The car is very little different to how it was at the start of the season,” confirmed Christian Horner.

“We’re having to pick our allocation of time between current car and future car and we’re very much down what other teams would have for next year and we don’t want to affect our ’24 performance, which has meant being very light on development in ’23. Thankfully we’ve had a strong car since the start of the year.”

chrisc90

I guess when CH says "very much down what other teams have for next year...." is actually missing a word and should say , "down on what other teams would have" presuming he's talking about the development penalty and not the fact that other teams have started work on the '24 car much earlier - as I highly doubt thats the case.

Have any upgrades been rumoured for Silverstone?

From memory, all we have brought so far this season is the revised sidepod intake, the floor edge, a new floor which I guess was developed through 22 and over winter, and the thinner rear arms that Austria brought, which is minor in the scheme of things. So taking off the sidepod intake and the floor, there hasnt been a massive amount of changes to the car throughout the season once it started.

organic

I don't think there's even been a new floor body.

Floor edge, some changes on the front wings (high/low df specs), rear suspension fairings, sidepod inlets and upper sidepod geometry, diffuser sidewall making a squarer corner(spain)

I think that's it so far. Someone mentioned an interview from Marko about no upgrades for Silverstone. Will do some digging

organic

lio007 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 00:08
organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:48
lio007 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:46

Marko said there are no upgrades next week (Post-Race interview with ORF)
:mrgreen: well ---. Do you have a link or a title that I can find the interview with?

Perhaps they'll delay the next floor spec to a later date, or simply not bother at all. Each upgrade they forego is more development budget for the next year's car. They can get through all of the old specification parts' usage life and then when they actually need another floor they can finally introduce the new spec. It's a luxury afforded by dominant performance
TBH I was quite surprised of him by saying that.
I'll try to post some "evidence" tomorrow, it's already quite late now. :)
Any follow up on this?

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 22:49
I guess when CH says "very much down what other teams have for next year...." is actually missing a word and should say , "down on what other teams would have" presuming he's talking about the development penalty and not the fact that other teams have started work on the '24 car much earlier - as I highly doubt thats the case.

Have any upgrades been rumoured for Silverstone?

From memory, all we have brought so far this season is the revised sidepod intake, the floor edge, a new floor which I guess was developed through 22 and over winter, and the thinner rear arms that Austria brought, which is minor in the scheme of things. So taking off the sidepod intake and the floor, there hasnt been a massive amount of changes to the car throughout the season once it started.
Maybe things are so close to optimum there is little to change?
As long as they are running away from the competition what is to be gained by spending cash now there is a limit and time which is also limited. Better to use any available resource on next years car or even research on the next car again.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lio007

organic wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 23:00
lio007 wrote:
organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:48

:mrgreen: well ---. Do you have a link or a title that I can find the interview with?

Perhaps they'll delay the next floor spec to a later date, or simply not bother at all. Each upgrade they forego is more development budget for the next year's car. They can get through all of the old specification parts' usage life and then when they actually need another floor they can finally introduce the new spec. It's a luxury afforded by dominant performance
Any follow up on this?
Sorry...I've just the link from the TV interview: at 7:15
https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/Formel-1- ... otor&pos=1
...highly likely geo locked.

chrisc90

Hungary - Larger brake duct inlets FR + Rear (circuit specific), Sidepod inlet and engine coke cover (BIG upgrade 2tenths?), Floor edge detailing to suit different sidepod/inlets.
Silverstone - Brake ducts - reduced inlet size - circuit specific
Austria - Rear suspension fairings
Canada - Front wing reprofiling
Spain - Floor edge + rear diffuser uppermost edges
Monaco - rear wing camber and steering shroud modifications - both track specific.
Miami - Nothing
Baku - Sidepod inlet + Engine/Coke cover + Floor edge and fence + Rear corner winglet
Australia - Front wing endplate + Front wing elements 3 and 4 camber increase
Saudi - Less cambered beam wing and rear wing + endplate ALL circuit specific
Bahrain - nothing reported.
Last edited by chrisc90 on 22 Jul 2023, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

organic

lio007 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 23:10
organic wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 23:00
lio007 wrote:

Any follow up on this?
Sorry...I've just the link from the TV interview: at 7:15
https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/Formel-1- ... otor&pos=1
...highly likely geo locked.
Thank you very much

chrisc90

Hungary - Image
Silverstone - Image
Austria - Image
Canada - Image
Spain - Image
Monaco -Image
Miami - Nothing
Baku - Image
Australia - Image
Saudi - Image
Bahrain - nothing reported.

Will try add into this so we can keep track of whats been brought.
Last edited by chrisc90 on 22 Jul 2023, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Good summaries Chris and thanks for aggregating this all here. Will be a useful reference

PlatinumZealot

Minor little bits and bobs according to the nature of the track. No need for any major upgrades because the car is already 1 second faster than the next best.

No rational thinker would bring a major upgrade this year if their car is 1 second ahead, the rules are stable, and their windtunnel is perfectly calibrated.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028