2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jurgen von Diaz

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Venturiation wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:53
Why didn't Lando ask Piastri for the favor of handing over P2 to him, as Lando gave him the win in Hungary? What is the matter with McLaren, why don't they want Norris to win the WDC?
Lando didn't give him the win, the team undercut Oscar and gave the place to norris then he tried to act like he was better than piastri but today piastri proved him that he isn't
, same they tried today by undercutting Oscar twice while he was ahead of him
It seems like they were battling for the WDC in Hungary before they remembered the fair play aspect. They should have played their strategy for Norris to win, and now they have allowed Piastri to take P2. You cannot defeat Max with fair play within your team.

bluechris

Venturiation wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:57
bluechris wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:55
Venturiation wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:50

Oscar isn't norris's puppet
Oscar was simply superior this race and norris couldn't keep up with him
But he qualified behind and wasn't able to pass at the start. In the hindsight, you really believe what he did in T4 was correct? I mean noone expect that attack, not even Norris and because of Norris evasive actions they didn't crash and as extra candy, Leclerc went second.
To me it was a brain fart move.
So now drivers that qualify behind aren't allowed to overtake? The move at T4 was a masterclass and show big amount of skill
M8 i really like both drivers, i want McLaren after so many years to take the championship out Ferrari, but this doesn't change the hot headed move to his team mate who saved the situation there and eaten his ego for the team.
Its 1+1, you are careful at the start lap. Three plan i suppose was to be in front and control the race & tyres but with that all went to hell.

Did you saw Piastri body language in the interview? To me he understood what he did and what was the cost.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:59
LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:38
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:08

I am not sure either way. I think the point of no team orders is to let the settle it on the track. The lack of a number 1 is precisely because it hasn't been settled on track.

I know how you feel about the previous races, but obviously in this conversation they can't really be brushed aside.

Lando wasn't terrible today, just not performing tp expectations again.
I am happy that Oscar has a fighting spirit on the track. It is great to have such a driver in the team. But it is worth understanding that because of his egoism, and I cannot extrapolate it in any other way, the team lost 1-2 positions at the finish. Stella also spoke out on this issue, that they will discuss Oscar's maneuver. I do not think that the team will push him aside, but the fact that Lando now has a free hand is beyond my doubt.

Lando has a temper, but he hides it behind a smile. He doesn't want to be a bad guy, that's all. I understand Lando when he didn't expect such an attack from Oscar. But now it's crystal clear to him. Oscar fights his partner a little harder than with other opponents. In this respect, he's a little like Ocon.

Later this year I want to see how many people change their minds about Lando. Are they as selfish in life as Oscar? I have no idea. Oscar shows that he wants to be number one and does not want to be a team player. But two can play this game. Or do most people on the forum think that Lando will always act like this?

I respect everyone's opinion on this forum, but as Emag told me at the Monaco Grand Prix: "I respect your opinion, it has a place to be, but I have my own personal opinion, based on my observations, facts, etc." Agreeing or disagreeing is not a problem. It's just that by the end of the season, someone will be more right, and someone less. We can't influence that in any way.
I think it is very strong to suggest that Oscar is the reason Lando couldn't go faster for the rest of the race. Lando had 52 further laps to set things straight. He was unable to and the overtake wasn't the reason.

I think.the overtake was a bit much too, but the risk that Ferrari were willing to take snatched the 1-2. And the fact we didn't split strategy.
Surely the overtake was a big impact on it? He was behind Leclerc and as said all the time, driving behind impacts the cars, he then probably pitted earlier than they wanted in trying to get back the position lost at the overtake.

Without the overtake, the race is different for both drivers.

It was a good overtake at the wrong time, which caused a bigger than intended result

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:06
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

I am happy that Oscar has a fighting spirit on the track. It is great to have such a driver in the team. But it is worth understanding that because of his egoism, and I cannot extrapolate it in any other way, the team lost 1-2 positions at the finish. Stella also spoke out on this issue, that they will discuss Oscar's maneuver. I do not think that the team will push him aside, but the fact that Lando now has a free hand is beyond my doubt.

Lando has a temper, but he hides it behind a smile. He doesn't want to be a bad guy, that's all. I understand Lando when he didn't expect such an attack from Oscar. But now it's crystal clear to him. Oscar fights his partner a little harder than with other opponents. In this respect, he's a little like Ocon.

Later this year I want to see how many people change their minds about Lando. Are they as selfish in life as Oscar? I have no idea. Oscar shows that he wants to be number one and does not want to be a team player. But two can play this game. Or do most people on the forum think that Lando will always act like this?

I respect everyone's opinion on this forum, but as Emag told me at the Monaco Grand Prix: "I respect your opinion, it has a place to be, but I have my own personal opinion, based on my observations, facts, etc." Agreeing or disagreeing is not a problem. It's just that by the end of the season, someone will be more right, and someone less. We can't influence that in any way.
I think it is very strong to suggest that Oscar is the reason Lando couldn't go faster for the rest of the race. Lando had 52 further laps to set things straight. He was unable to and the overtake wasn't the reason.

I think.the overtake was a bit much too, but the risk that Ferrari were willing to take snatched the 1-2. And the fact we didn't split strategy.
Surely the overtake was a big impact on it? He was behind Leclerc and as said all the time, driving behind impacts the cars, he then probably pitted earlier than they wanted in trying to get back the position lost at the overtake.

It was a good overtake at the wrong time, which caused a bigger than intended result
It had a big impact on Lando, but I don't think it put Leclerc further up the field relative to whomever was the fastest McLaren. Piastri was faster than Norris and got further ahead than Lando would have. Oscar would have been on Landos tail and Leclecr drafting on Oscar and the result of a Ferrari staying out would have been worse. We did not lose the win because of that overtake. Our lead was bigger, ultimately, because of that overtake. We lost it because Ferrari took what was perceived as a big risk and we decided to play safe.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:09
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It had a big impact on Lando, but I don't think it put Leclerc further up the field relative to whomever was the fastest McLaren. Piastri was faster than Norris and got further ahead than Lando would have. Oscar would have been on Landos tail and Leclecr drafting on Oscar and the result of a Ferrari staying out would have been worse. We did not lose the win because of that overtake. Our lead was bigger, ultimately, because of that overtake. We lost it because Ferrari took what was perceived as a big risk and we decided to play safe.
I'm not sure. I think if the 2 of them stayed as was they would have dropped Leclerc, he was struggling as it was, seemingly. But we wouldn't have stopped that early, and would have kept the options open longer.

We may still have lost, but I think they wouldn't have started trying to outgunned each other, especially Oscar thinking about the undercut and banging out fastest laps on new tyres.

And maybe woukd have had more flexibility on decisions.

I strongly think we will now be seeing a more 2nd driver approach going forward. You don't do anything to risk team points.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I don’t much care about the strat. It is what it is. But surely Oscar doesn’t give a monkeys if he was 2nd or 3rd. So surely on the second to last lap he could have given LN second place. It’s an idiot thing not to give 3 extra points considering the start

Slahinki
Slahinki

Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

The move Piastri made today really should have consequences internally, nearly causing a collision with his team mate and losing him a position to another team to boot. Moves like that should not be accepted. That's the kind of stuff Ocon gets large amounts of flak for. I know it's of no importance, but Piastri lost a lot of respect with me today. Harming both the WCC points haul and his team mate in the WDC.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Venturiation wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:56
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:53
Why didn't Lando ask Piastri for the favor of handing over P2 to him, as Lando gave him the win in Hungary? What is the matter with McLaren, why don't they want Norris to win the WDC?
Lando didn't give him the win, the team undercut Oscar and gave the place to norris then he tried to act like he was better than piastri but today piastri proved him that he isn't
, same they tried today by undercutting Oscar twice while he was ahead of him
Lando did give him the win. Lando could have done a Vettel and chose not to.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Oscar hasn't done anything wrong. At McLaren there are no team orders, therefore, they have gone for victory. He has done a better race than Lando and that is why he has been ahead of him.

At McLaren no one is anyone's pet. You have to earn it on the track. That's why we are McLaren. If you want that, become a Red Bull fan. It seems incredible that some do not understand what our team's philosophy is.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:02
Venturiation wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:50
Slahinki wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:47
Just watched the race. What an absolutely idiotic move by Piastri, nearly took out both cars and then let Leclerc through too. Racing his team mate like he's the australian Ocon. What a shitty team mate behaviour. The team continues to do it's best to throw the WDC away, like they are allergic to it. Absolutely infuriating to not be able to capitalise more on Red Bull and Verstappen finishing outside the top 5.
Oscar isn't norris's puppet
Oscar was simply superior this race and norris couldn't keep up with him
Oscar doesn't have to be anyone's puppet, but he is employed by Mclaren to do the best for the team. What he did was not the best for the team. In fact it was opposite.

Was he superior, I don't know. They didn't run the same type of race, mainly because Lando ended up 3rd after avoiding his teammate.
Bring back Carlos.

These two respect and trust each other. It was enough for me to see how they spent two seasons together and how they congratulated each other after winning in Singapore 2023 and Miami 2024. This is where teamwork can happen.

Slahinki
Slahinki

blastdoman wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:32
Oscar hasn't done anything wrong. At McLaren there are no team orders, therefore, they have gone for victory. He has done a better race than Lando and that is why he has been ahead of him.

At McLaren no one is anyone's pet. You have to earn it on the track. That's why we are McLaren. If you want that, become a Red Bull fan. It seems incredible that some do not understand what our team's philosophy is.
Except of course when it is for Lando to give Piastri his first win.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Slahinki wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:48
blastdoman wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:32

Except of course when it is for Lando to give Piastri his first win.
Are you comparing an undercut between teammates to an overtake on the track? I don't think they are comparable situations.

avantman
avantman

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 20:02

Oscar doesn't have to be anyone's puppet, but he is employed by Mclaren to do the best for the team. What he did was not the best for the team. In fact it was opposite.

Was he superior, I don't know. They didn't run the same type of race, mainly because Lando ended up 3rd after avoiding his teammate.
Well he already did even worse in Hungary when he pushed pole sitter Lando completely offtrack in T1, where Lando lost a position to Mclaren team rival directly because he had to avoid an accident. Lando also lost a lot of race time which of course such great teammate as Oscar benefited from directly. What did Mclaren and Lando by the way say after - Fair play all fine. I mean such move would be fine and acceptable against rival from another team, against Max for example. But against the teammate who's (sorta) fighting for the Championship not just for himself but more importantly for the team?
So Oscar got green light to do those things there already. Of course Lando winning this title would be nightmare scenario for Piastri.

Darth-Piekus

What undercut? Oscar made a mistake that costed him 2 seconds and that is what costed him 1st place in Hungary and not the undercut. And then we have Oscar doing this reckless move in Monza which was successful because Lando let him pass to avoid collision costing the team an easy 1-2.

Unless of course the team doesnt care about the WDC.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:05
What undercut? Oscar made a mistake that costed him 2 seconds and that is what costed him 1st place in Hungary and not the undercut. And then we have Oscar doing this reckless move in Monza which was successful because Lando let him pass to avoid collision costing the team an easy 1-2.

Unless of course the team doesnt care about the WDC.
Err no.

Oscar was well ahead and only went behind as they sacrificed his right to pit first at Hungary. If Piastri had pit first then the gap at the front would have grown.

Lando finished second because his pride was bigger than any intelligence. It was a simple matter of giving back the position. Sitting behind for a lap or two abd then taking the lead again. Instead he got mardy and wasted his and everyone's time and created a sh*t load of unnecessary drama and headlines.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit